We think yes! But we cannot give 100% proof! We can give you 3 pieces of evidence that point towards his existence and say it is highly likely and then leave it up to you whether you agree!
This isn’t something new for us. There are many instances in life where we are not 100% certain of something, but we weigh up the probabilities and make an informed decision based on the facts that we have before us. The three pieces of evidence are:
The Universe in Which We Live
The universe in which we live is awesome! It is beautiful, mind-blowing, and massively complex. Many people believe our world began because of the Big Bang. If there were a Big Bang, there are 2 questions we would ask of it:
Firstly, who or what created the forces that created the explosion that created the Big Bang? You have to go back to a time where something existed and out of which everything else was created, could that have been God? We think it was!
Secondly, is it plausible to believe that a world of beauty, precision and design happened without someone, God, instigating the Big Bang? Look at the evidence and ask, could this have randomly happened, or has our earth and universe got design and precision running through it?
- If the earth were nearer the sun, we would fry, a bit further away and we would freeze.
- If the earth spun more slowly, if it were tilted at a different angle, if the moon were nearer, we would be in serious trouble and it would spell disaster for our planet.
- The earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal, and human life.
- The moon is the perfect size and distance from the earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate and stop flooding the coastline.
- “The laws of physics seem themselves to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design. The universe must have a purpose” Paul Davies, Astrophysicist.
- “The odds against a universe like our emerging out of something like the Big Bang are enormous. I think there are clearly religious implications … it would be very difficult to explain why the universe would have begun in just this way except as the act of a God who intended to create beings like us”. Stephen Hawking
We as Christians believe it is God who was there at the beginning, and it was God who created the universe and God who designed the detail of the universe. It wasn’t a fluke of random atoms. Could a random explosion have produced such order and design? We don’t think so. Design comes from a designer.
I don’t know whether you have ever been for a walk in the countryside or by the sea and have had your breath taken away by the beauty you see around you – you just think wow, this is amazing, this is so beautiful and inspiring. Is it reasonable to think that this happened through a random fluke? Think about that the next time you are outside in the countryside. Does this look like randomness? Or is it too beautiful and too precise and point to a designer?
The bible talks about the world in which we live signposting people to God:
“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world”. Psalm 19:1-3
The Design and Ability of the Human Race
The second piece of evidence is us, the human race. As we begin to look at the beauty and complexity of our bodies, again we see design and precision with everything working together for our good:
- A baby is made up of 60 trillion cells, with each cell carrying more information than can be stored on the shelves of a university library.
- A human being is stunningly unique, with never to be repeated blend of 6, 000,000,000 distinct, separate, and precise instructions that make up its genetic code.
When you begin to look at it, the human body is awesome and so intricately and impressively made:
- Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
- It takes the interaction of 72 different muscles to produce human speech.
- The average human heart will beat 3,000 million times and pump 48 million gallons of blood.
- During a 24-hour period, the average human will breathe 23,040 times.
The design of our bodies is incredible – from the skeleton that gives shape to our bodies, but also provides protection for our important internal organs – to the brain which controls everything we can do from blinking, breathing, talking and walking.
But what is equally amazing about human beings is all that we can do and achieve that make us different and more skilful and powerful than anything else in all creation. Compare what we can do to any animal, and we are by far superior, other than in speed in some cases! But we can think, create, paint, play instruments, sing, write, read etc The reason we are able to do these things, is that the bible tells us the human race, out of everything that was created in our world, was created in the image of God, that we reflect something of what God is like – obviously only the good bits of the human race!
Then God said “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:26-27.
We are truly complex and incredible creations that have been intricately designed and put together. There is nothing random or obsolete about us because we have been made by God to be the unique people that we are:
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I prise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14.
The miracle of life focuses our attention on the bigger picture and points towards someone far greater than ourselves, who designed each human body to be so unique. Think of the intricacy of that design – how could that have evolved or be an accident?
The Sense that there is Something Out There
From the beginning of human history people have always intrinsically believed there is a Supreme Being, and this is true of all societies around the world. If you look at people in different countries and cultures, there are so many different religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Islam, Judaism, African Tribal religions and Christianity, they are all searching for some contact and relief from a god, gods or higher being out there.
The instinct is mankind is to worship something or somebody, and as far as we know, no nation or people group has ever existed where the worship of some god or gods had not been widespread. When ancient burial sites are excavated, along with a club, bronze arrow or spear, there is usually some sort or idol or object, which points to the deceased having believed in some sort of deity or God.
People today don’t necessarily believe in the God of Christianity, but they do believe there is something or someone else out there! They say I just know there is something out there, I can’t put my finger on it, but I can sense it. I don’t fully understand what it means or who he is, but I know there is someone out there!
In times of great crisis, people will instinctively pray. Over 75% of people in this country admit to praying at least once a week and most of these people wouldn’t say they are Christians or religious!
So, there you have it, 3 pieces of evidence that point towards the existence of God. We just need to decide what we think. If you are struggling, why don’t you ask God to reveal himself to you and help you to see that he exists?
If you have any questions or would like to talk about this more, please contact Cath@scbc.org.uk.